Thursday, October 08, 2009

Gotta dance...

Even Antarctica can't keep me from dancing! And learning new things! I went to my first Zumba class ever here on the ice. If you have never heard of Zumba, imagine ballroom dancing meets hip-hop meets aerobics. It was outrageously fun and sweaty. Needless to say, I appreciate being sweaty like never before. I think the only times I have been really comfortably warm since arriving down here have been while exercising!

In many ways, living in McMurdo is like living on another planet. We are incredibly isolated, have limited facilities, and are supplied only when the boats and planes can get here. Just think about all the things you take for granted everyday: the activities that you do, or the things that you eat. This community has all of the same needs that you and your community do, but these folks have to work much harder to get some of them. Of course, recreation is an example of a need that is easier to fill... with activities like Zumba! In my opinion there is no better way to play and exercise than through dance! But don't worry if you are not into dancing. McMurdo has several gyms, an assortment of classes, places to do arts and crafts, a live music scene, and numerous places to socialize. It is amazing how people need to play and find ways to do it everywhere they go.

One of the needs that is tougher to fill is that of tasty and nutritious food. Think about the fresh fruits and veggies you enjoy and appreciate every day. If you have a craving, you can run right out to the store and usually find what you desire. Down here on the ice, fresh food, or "freshies", only come when there is room on the cargo plane. Because it is very early spring here, the first fresh food supplies are arriving after a long winter. I'll bet you can't guess what the super long line was for in the dining hall this evening... No, it wasn't for the delightful cookies, cake, or ice cream. Not even for the freshly baked bread. It was for the salad! It wasn't a fancy salad...just some fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and radishes, but the people who spent the winter down here haven't seen fresh lettuce in months. Frankly, I was excited to eat it because I won't be eating many fresh veggies once we deploy into the field. Mostly dried, canned, and frozen goods. Of course, you can cook some delightfully gourmet meals out of those ingredients, but nothing can take the place of fresh fruit and veg. I already know what I will be craving when I leave the continent: bananas and fresh bell peppers! Yum!

No comments: